Wednesday, July 1, 2009

spinach and pesto lasagna




HF: This is really, really good. It just needs meat.

2 cups cottage cheese (you may use Ricotta, I just don't like it)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 pound fresh spinach leaves (or 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry)
1 7-ounce package prepared pesto (or make your own)
3-4 cups bottled chunky pasta sauce (I used Emeril's Chunky Marinara this time)
12 no-boil lasagna noodles from an 8-ounce package
2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly spray a 9X13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
  3. Wash spinach leaves and press water out with towels, paper towel, or using a salad spinner.
  4. In a small bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, the egg, and the pesto.
  5. Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce on bottom of dish.
  6. Layer with 4 of the lasagna noodles. Spread a thin layer of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles. Top with spinach, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup of mozzarella. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, spinach, and cheese. When all your layers are made, top with remaining cheese (I probably used 3 cups of cheese instead of the two).
  7. Bake for 1 hour. You can cover with foil to keep from burning, or leave the cheese off until the last 30 minutes, but I like my cheese layer on top to be well done as you can see in the photo above.
I thought this was a very good lasagna. Safe for vegetarians. I think next time I will add pressed garlic and I think instead of the chunky marinara sauce, I would like to make a homemade white sauce or Alfredo sauce. I think that's usually how spinach lasagnas are made. But this was really good.

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

I can't wait to try this! I looks so yummy.