Tuesday, January 1, 2008

grandma's mayonnaise cake

You know you're getting old, when you start to like Grandma G.G.'s nasty Mayonnaise Date Nut Bread. Seriously, I've always despised when my parents would put nuts in cookies, and fruit in things that shouldn't have fruit. In recent months, my taste buds are starting to truly enjoy nuts and fruit where they don't belong!! One of the "perks" of getting married, is that you now receive Grandma's bread at Christmas. I've always graciously accepted this bread and then thrown it away or given it away. I sound like a brat, but I just hated this bread. Well, this year, when we got our bread by delivery, I tried a slice of it because I was starving, and we didn't have any other food in the house. I LOVED it. I pretty much ate the entire loaf. Dates? Who cares. Walnuts? Not a problem. I am now happy to have this Date Nut Bread recipe and get it each year from Grandma G.G. It's another one of those special recipes that has been passed from mother to daughter since who knows when. Early 1900s? 1800s? And I will hold on to it and pass it along as well. And my kids like it too. I love how food can also be a link to our family's past. Oh, and did you know that supposedly December 22 is National Date Nut Bread Day? Well now you know.

Grandma's Mayonnaise Date Nut Bread

mix together:
1 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1 tsp. soda
¾ c. water

Let sit 10 minutes at least. Longer is better

mix together in large bowl:
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 c. mayo
1 tsp. vanilla

Blend in date nut mixture. Add 2 c. flour

Pour into (2) greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350° 45-55 minutes. Stick in toothpick or a knife until comes out clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't know if i could ever make anything with mayo as an ingredient. i might eat it, but i couldn't make it.