Tuesday, February 10, 2009

pumpkin chocolate chip cookies




These are probably in my top 3 favorite cookies. Absolutely love them. I am always looking for a better recipe though. I have one recipe that I love and use as a base recipe and then I try and tweak the spices and ingredients until it's just right. I don't think I've quite got it to where I want, but I'm getting close. Here's the recipe that I use:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup shortening (I use 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter)
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I use Guitard's Giant Milk Chocolate Chips)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional. I usually leave nuts out unless a recipe calls for pecans)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Stir in the walnuts if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges begin to brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

1 comment:

MrsMonicaLB said...

I love pumpkin anything!i will surely have to try these even though I am a horrible baker!