Tuesday, June 16, 2009

avocado egg rolls




I love these lil babies. I thought about them all week and couldn't wait to make them on Sunday, my "Free" day. I just completed week 2 of Body For Life. Sunday's are my free day. I was not disappointed. A couple of years ago we ate at the California Pizza Kitchen, and we ordered their Avocado Club egg rolls and I loved them. Then I thought, " I could totally make these". So I did. And it's more or less the same I think. And you get a bunch of them instead of like 2 for $10. So ridiculous! After making my version of them, I did some more googling, and found the actual recipe supposedly. It says that it's from the California Pizza Kitchen Family Cookbook, so it must be, right? This is what I did different.

To grill the chicken:
I put a couple Tablespoons of olive oil in an iron skillet on medium heat. Once it was heated, I placed 2 chicken breasts in skillet. I added the juice of 2 limes, 3 garlic cloves minced, and a handful of chopped cilantro. I then added a cup or so of water. This keeps the chicken tender and from burning. When the chicken was almost done, I sliced it into strips and let it blacken in the skillet. It was done when all the water evaporated. Make sure it is no longer pink anywhere in the chicken.

I added the following ingredients to the original recipe from the CPKF cookbook: I doubled the recipe because I made them for dinner- not as an appetizer, and wanted to use all the eggroll wrappers that came in the package. I didn't count, but I think it made around 16-20.

diced purple onion
1-3 more avocados (I like it heavy on the avocado)

I added cilantro in my previous experiment, but didn't need to this time because I grilled the chicken with it. I think next time I'll leave it off the chicken and add it separately. I also just mixed all the ingredients together in a bowl and then placed 2-3 tablespoons in each eggroll. I didn't follow the instructions in the recipe for placement and it wasn't soggy at all. I am not sure how much of a difference it actually would make.

This is just my opinion. The recipe would be fine without my additions, but I would definitely recommend grilling the chicken with lime and garlic or some other complimentary marinade. The ranchito sauce is very, very good and really made the egg roll sublime. We used Tabasco's smoked chipotle sauce.

3 comments:

Texas Ghostrider said...

OMG! I am printing recipes.... Shhhh don't tell anyone at the station.....wait, it's cool the word "grill" is in there....

Kimmy said...

These look soooooo yummy!!

Kelsey said...

Those sound so tasty! I'll definitely have to check them out.