Wednesday, February 9, 2011

fun snacks for kids: apple smiles

Remember these? My mom made these for me occasionally when I was a little girl, but they had peanut butter spread on the apples instead of honey, like I used in the ones pictured above. We have a kid with a peanut allergy here, so I have to get creative sometimes.

These are super easy to make and pretty much self explanatory.

You will need:
  • mini marshmallows
  • apples (with red skins preferably)
  • peanut butter (we used local raw honey-it was delicious!)
  1. Cut and quarter an apple.
  2. Cut each quarter into slices of desired thickness (depending on how big you want the lips)
  3. Spread peanut butter or honey on one side of the apple wedge. Place your marshmallow teeth on top of the peanut butter.
  4. Spread peanut butter on an "upper lip" slice and place on top of the row of marshmallows.
  5. Enjoy!
I've been a bad blogger, but I did a guest post a couple of weeks ago over at my lavender ave. It's all about menu planning! Check it out and have a look around. She does a lot of fun things over there.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are super cute! I like how friendly they look :D

Anonymous said...

LOVED the guest post. It's my dream to be that organized... one day! As it stands I sent the link to a girlfriend who's expecting Baby #2 in the next few weeks, and she loved it - she's using it to plan and make a bunch of frozen dinners for post-baby. :) Thanks!

Bible Belt Balabusta said...

OH, yes. I love this. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have read your post and i think it's useful. Thanks for the sharing this website. It is very useful professional knowledge.
Smiles 4 kids Grand Junction

Tim Curry said...

These would make a great snack for dental health week in preschool or kindergarten. Don't want to encourage too many marshmallows, but every once in awhile is OK!