Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yummy Summer Drinks Series - Mocktails Part 1

 
Some of you may feel that it's skirting the edge a bit to be making "mocktails" with a 12 year old. Maybe so. We really had a good time though. My floor is also really, really sticky. Why? I was making mocktails with a 12 year old. It doesn't help at all that he's grown about 3 inches and gained 22 lbs since December. "Hey Mom, I'll bring that drink over to the table. Oops. I spilled a little. Oops, I spilled some more." Was heard more than once. But hey, I've got a mop and I know how to use it.

That's enough chit-chat though, right? On to the recipes.

Margaritas

I went with frozen here because it's hot outside, and we like them. 


Spicy Grapefruit Margarita (adapted from bon apetit)

1 habanero chile, halved with seeds removed (if you haven't worked with hot chiles, use caution)
Kosher salt
6 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice (I used light grapefruit juice)
ice cubes

Steep habanero chile in grapefruit juice 1-2 hours, depending on how spicy you want it. Remove chile and pour grapefruit juice into blender filled with ice cubes, pouring juice to level of ice cubes. In my blender, that's ice to about the 4 cup mark. I made this margarita in two 3-cup batches.
Serve in frosted glasses, garnish as desired.


Lime Margarita

Kosher salt or salt/sugar mixture to rim the glasses
1/2 lime, cut in wedges, or desired garnish
6 oz can frozen limeade concentrate
1/4 cup orange juice
4 cups ice cubes

Frost glasses, if desired. In blender, blend the limeade, orange juice and ice cubes until well blended and ice cubes are crushed. Pour into glasses, garnish as desired.


Strawberry Margarita

6 oz can  frozen limeade concentrate
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
2 Tbsp. strawberry simple syrup
3 cups water
3/4 cup orange juice
4 cups ice cubes
1 liter lemon-lime soda pop, chilled

Combine limeade, strawberries, simple syrup, water and ice cubes in blender. Blend until ice is  completely crushed. Freeze in a 2 quart container to use later. To serve immediately, pour 2/3 cup slush into each glass and top off with 1/3 cup soda. Stir, garnish and serve. 

You may also enjoy:

No comments: