Thursday, May 28, 2009

scones



with honey
with cinnamon & sugar
with powdered sugar

My mom would sometimes make what we called scones. I know the British version of scones and what is sold in bakeries and coffee shops are more what I consider biscuits. Then once again, biscuits to the British are what we call cookies. I know, very confusing! I'm not sure how many other people consider these to be scones, but I do. So I'll stick with it. Another name for my version of scones is Fry Bread or depending on what toppings you put on top, Navajo tacos. I had a couple of Native roommates that made fry bread often and would put taco toppings on top. It was really good. But this is a dessert here folks.

My mom used just any old bread dough recipe to make these. Use a sweet dough if you want to make it sweeter instead of more savoury. My version is much easier and faster than making your own dough and waiting for it to rise. I use frozen Rhode Rolls.

Rhodes Rolls (I usually make 20 in a 9X13 pan, but you can do as many or as little as you desire) vegetable oil for frying
suggested toppings:
cinnamon & sugar powdered sugar honey & butter jam

Use the speed method for thawing the rolls. Directions are on the back of the bag. It actually takes at least half of the time recommended, because you don't have to let the rise. As soon as they are soft enough, and beginning to rise, they will be pliable in your hands. Heat the vegetable oil 1-2 inches deep on medium heat in a pot on your stove. When it's ready for frying, take a section of dough (1 roll) and flatten it in your hands until it is flattened relatively thin the same thickness all around, but not see through. Gently drop into hot oil and fry until golden. Flip over using tongs, and fry that side until golden. It takes 1-2 minutes per side depending on how hot your oil is. Remove from oil and place on a plate with paper towels to absorb oil. You can fry 2-3 scones at a time. Serve while still warm.

1 comment:

MrsMonicaLB said...

I am going to have to try making these scones with the Rhodes rolls.my mominlaw makes thee best scones ever and they go like hotcakes!I was just talking to her yesterday about making some.they are yummy!we eat them with butter and honey.