Thursday, February 4, 2010

these whole wheat muffins are good! And healthy too.

 
  
  
  

WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS
5 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups All-Bran cereal
2 cups bran flakes (not the cereal-located in health food store bulk section)*
1/2 Tbsp. salt
Mix dry ingredients in LARGE bowl.

Mix the following ingredients in separate bowl:
2 cups boiling water
5 tsp. baking soda (soda will bubble and roll when added to the boiling water)
1 cup canola oil
1 cup honey
1 cup brown sugar
5 cups buttermilk
4 eggs

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Cover batter and let rest overnight or several hours in refrigerator before baking. Grease or line with muffin papers a 12 cup muffin tin. Fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake on middle oven rack at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes. Batter will keep for weeks in refrigerator and makes 4+ dozen.*Bran flakes should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. They will go rancid if left in the cupboard for more than a few months. I mixed the wet ingredients in my kitchenaid. I put the baking soda in first and then added my boiling water to it so that it didn't bubble over. 

These are incredibly moist, hearty, and delicious! I could seriously eat these all day. This is a healthy muffin. It made 54 regular sized muffins. I made up all the muffins this morning and hope that it will make for a healthy breakfast and snack for the coming week for all of us.

5 comments:

J said...

Thank you! I've been looking for a delish bran muffin recipe. My mom had one years ago, but now none of us can find it.

I wonder if some of the canola oil could be subbed with applesauce. I'd hate to take chances on such a big recipe, though.

mrs. fuzz said...

you know, I bet using applesauce would work really well. I've made applesauce choc. chip cookies that way. So it was double the applesauce and zero oil. I would be a little nervous to try it on such a large recipe, but I bet it would totally work!

CM said...

Oh, this looks so delish! Great pics too!

KD said...

ugh. Another yummy recipe that I have to skip because of the buttermilk. Charlotte is allergic to dairy and I'm not sure what I can substitute for buttermilk. hmmm... can I "curdle" rice milk and get the same effect?!?! ha! probably not. I do have another recipe that uses flax meal in place of oil and is dairy free. I'm guessing these taste better though!

But the REAL reason I'm commenting is because you have a new header!! So cute!! (but....I miss the doughnuts. lol)

mrs. fuzz said...

Cop Mama- Thanks!

KD- you can use soymilk. Add one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk and that should be a buttermilk substitute. I think soy milk works better because it is thicker, but I bet you could try rice milk. You could try a small batch to see if it works? Your other recipe sounds interesting.

About the donuts. i'm still trying to figure out a way to add a donut or two to my header, it hasn't looked right yet. Something with crumbs I'm thinking. . . :)