Thursday, March 26, 2009

biscuits and EGG gravy





I LOVE biscuits and gravy, except I don't like it with sausage so much. I like it with eggs. This is how I always knew biscuits and gravy. I didn't know people made it with sausage until I went to college. Can you believe that? This is another recipe that came from my great grandpa, Pop, from Arkansas. Once again, I'm not sure if this is something that they came up with on their own on the farm, or if it was something they learned from someone else, but it's been in the family for a very long time. Mr. Fuzz prefers it with sausage, but still enjoys this recipe. He was raised mostly in the south, and once when we were dating, we went out to breakfast, and I watched with fascination as he hand-broke into pieces his biscuits and then dropped them into his plate of sausage and gravy. So weird to me. Every time I make this dish, I try something new. I think it's how I like it now.

1. prepare and bake your favorite biscuit recipe. I like my Pop's biscuits.
2. make hard-cooked eggs (from BH&G New Cookbook):
  • 4 eggs (you can do more than 4)
  • cold water

Place eggs in a single layer in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to come 1 inch above the eggs. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat so water is just below simmering. Cover and cook for 15 minutes; drain.

Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water till cool enough to handle; drain.

To peel eggs, gently tap each egg on the countertop. Roll the egg between the palms of your hands. Peel off eggshell, starting at the large end.

3. Prepare white sauce:

  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups milk

In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute then remove from heat. Makes 2 cups.

4. To serve, slice hard-cooked eggs into white sauce and gently stir until eggs are covered/combined with white sauce (I like to mash 3/4 of the boiled eggs and stir them in and then garnish with remaining eggs, cut into slices). Slice biscuits in half and place side by side on a plate. Pour egg and sauce mixture over biscuits halves. Garnish with egg slices, if desired. Serve immediately. Best while hot and fresh. I usually serve sausage links on the side and fresh fruit.

No comments: