Saturday, March 28, 2009

frugal taco soup



The wonderful thing about this soup, is that you probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry. It also doesn't have to be precise. You can substitute pinto beans for black beans, leave out the corn, add chicken instead of ground beef, or leave the meat out all together, etc. It's very versatile.

Taco Soup

1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes (I like to use petite diced-I'm not a tomato chunk fan)
1 (15 oz.) can corn
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
1 (15 oz.) can water

Brown ground beef and chopped onion in skillet; drain. Place beef mixture, taco seasoning, tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, pinto beans, and water in pot on stove. Simmer 30-40 minutes.

Serve with fritos or homemade cooked tortilla strips. I like to put a dollop of Daisy sour cream on top. I don't stir it in. I grab a portion with each spoonful. Cheese is also good sprinkled on top. You can freeze the soup in a large ziploc freezer bag for another meal. Like I said, very versatile, very cheap, and very delicious.

No comments: