Tuesday, May 11, 2010

easy fruit compote


I got this super easy and delicious recipe from my friend Jenny. When she told me there was basil in it I was not interested in trying it at all. Why would I add basil to fruit?! Well, after I tried it, I was hooked. It was all I could do not to finish off the entire bowl.

Here's what you do:

1.  Take your favorite fruits and dice it up. For our family of 5 I diced up about 1/2 cup of each fruit. The one pictured above has red grapes, strawberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, bananas, and pineapple. Any fruit will do. I ended up with 5 cups of fruit. Place in serving dish.
2.  Chop a bunch of fresh sweet basil and sprinkle if all over the chopped fruit.
3.  Drizzle with honey. For 5 cups of fruit, I probably drizzled 2-3 Tablespoons. Mix all together and serve. I was nervous how my family would react to an herb in their fruit, but they loved it! You should give it a try. This is now one of our favorite desserts. This can accompany any meal, be a great breakfast along with toast and yogurt, or a great dessert.

1 comment:

KD said...

yum! I also love mint in my fruit salad. DH is not that crazy about it, but when I sent it that way to a dept meal everyone raved about it, so he was kind of in the doghouse for ridiculing me. :) It's so nice to be right once a year!! lol