Monday, May 31, 2010

steel-cut oats with apples and pecans

This is from Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. I've been eating it for breakfast every morning this week and I LOVE it. I included a link to this recipe in the previous menu plan monday, but I want it here for future reference.

steel-cut oats with apples and pecans
1 cup almond milk
1 cup quick-cooking steel-cut oats
2 apples, cored and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 1/2 teaspoons organic maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
1/3 cup chopped pecns or walnuts, toasted*

In a medium saucepan, combine the almond milk, 1 cup water, and the oats. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

While the oatmeal is cooking, in a small saucepan, place the apples, cinnamon, 1./2 teaspoon of the maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon water. Cook over medium heat until the apples are softened and the liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the pecans and cover to keep warm.

Stir the apples and nuts into the cooked and rested oatmeal. Divude among four bowls. Drizzle 1 teaspoon maple syrup over each bowl and serve. 

*to toast pecans: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven until fragrant and lightly golden., 2 5 to 6 minutes.                                                                                                                                                                       

5 comments:

Jess said...

wow this looks so tasty! much better than the plain old oatmeal and milk I've been eating! Looks like I have a new breakfast to try :)

KD said...

I checked out that recipe in your menu plan, and YUM is all I have to say! :)

Jenn said...

You are my hero. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks deeeelish! I am about to start to train for a 5k with my dog and Trophy Mama, so I will have to put her book on my list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Le Wife said...

I adore oatmeal! I will definitely try it out :P