Tuesday, June 15, 2010

great aunt eddie's coconut bread


Another weight gainer. This bread is incredible. It is soft, moist, and just the right balance of flavor. The special thing about this recipe however, is that it's from my great aunt Eddie. She is also the person behind another favorite recipe of mine. I guess it's safe to say that Aunt Eddie knows her sweet breads. If you love coconut, you will adore this bread. I modified the recipe a little bit. I replaced the buttermilk with almond milk (and 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice) and next time I might try coconut milk in place of the buttermilk, although that might make it too coconutty. Oh, and don't bother trying to find pure coconut extract. It doesn't really exist. This bread makes 2 large loaves. I made these in 4 miniature loaf pans. That was pushing it. I would do 5 next time.

Aunt Eddie's Coconut Bread

4 eggs
2 cups sugar (I used organic
1 cup oil
2 tsp. coconut extract
3 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. salt (I used a little less than 2 tsp.)
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup almond milk with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice)
1 cup flaked coconut (I used shredded)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two large bread pans (9 1/4 x 5 1/4). In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, and extract. Sift together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Beat in alternately the buttermilk, coconut, and walnuts. Bake for 1 hour. When almost finished baking, make the glaze:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. coconut extract

In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water, and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add the coconut extract. Mix and pour over warm bread. Let stand for one hour before removing from pans.


2 comments:

Ashlae said...

Mmm, I will have to try this. Along with the banana bread recipe - my boyfriend thinks he has the all-time best recipe, time to prove to him Aunt Eddie can do it better!

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Fuzz,
Oh, I couldn't even read the recipe, I wanted to eat this so much! You take great pictures.

So now I have read it and yes, I am going to make it. I wonder how it would work as a muffin . . . I could pop them in the freezer before I ate them all . . . who am I kidding.

Ann T.
P.S. My Bento stuff will be in next week. I hope my pix turn out as well as yours!!