Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jam Thumbprint Cookies, or "I Love Butter" Cookies



I remember eating these a few times as a little girl. I know there are recipes for these cookies in vintage cookbooks, because whenever I look through my mom's old cookbooks, or in a used bookstore, I always stop on these recipes and want to make them. I finally did it. I don't remember where the recipe I have came from. It might be Martha Stewart. I like that there are minimal ingredients. This is also a fun recipe for kids to help with because they love making the dents in the middle of the cookies and filling them up with hot jam. I use raw organic sugar. As far as I can tell, there isn't a difference in taste, but I swear you can still see the grain of the sugar and taste the crunch in the finished product. But maybe that's just me. 

JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
3 1/4 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup jam (any type) we used strawberry

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg, and beat until completely combined. With mixer on low, add flour, and mix just until incorporated.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls (about 2 Tablespoons each). Place on baking sheets, at least 3 inches apart.

Moisten thumb with water, and gently press the center of each ball, making an indentation about 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep. In microwave or on stove, heat jam until liquefied; spoon about 1/2 teaspoon into each indentation. Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges, 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. If storing, place in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! My Mamaw used to make these and they are my fave cookie. I've been looking for years for the recipe but they always have nuts stuck to the outside...yuck! :)