Tuesday, August 10, 2010

our little garden

This is our second year doing a little community garden. Community as in two other families. One of the families has a big space at their home that wasn't in use for anything so we all pitched in and built this garden. I took these after spending a good couple of hours weeding.  
Above: strawberry patch (with lots of weeds in it still) and tomatoes next to that. We are growing heirloom and cherry. As you can see we've already picked everything.
On the other side of the tomatoes are red and green bell peppers and jalapenos. In the plot next to it, there is currently nothing but weeds. Earlier it had romaine lettuce, broccoli, and peas. Against the gate are various herbs and some swiss chard.
This is our biggest box running along the fence next to where the herbs and swiss chard were in the previous picture. We have zucchini, yellow summer squash, cucumbers (where the wooden lattice is), green beans (where the tall green poles are), and at the very end cantaloupe and baby watermelons.
This is our first take home bounty. I did pick the cantaloupe too soon. I was a little eager. Gardening is a great workout! My body has been sore for days from all that weeding and picking. . .

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I know - I weeded for about 2 hours on Saturday and I'm still sore. Argh.